In the diverse economy of Stardew Valley, caviar stands out as a high-value product that can significantly boost a farmer’s earnings. Made from sturgeon roe, this delicacy not only commands a premium price but also offers players a unique challenge in mastering fish farming.
If you’re aiming to elevate your farm’s reputation and profitability, diving into the world of caviar production can be a game-changer. This guide will walk you through every step, ensuring you reap the benefits of this lucrative venture.
Table of Contents
What is Caviar?
Caviar is a gourmet artisan product made from processing Sturgeon Roe in a Preserves Jar.
Sturgeon Roe can be obtained by placing a Sturgeon, a type of fish found in the mountain lake, in a Fish Pond. Once the fish produces roe, players can put the roe in a Preserves Jar. After four in-game days, it will turn into caviar.
The Purpose of Caviar
1. Caviar can Sell from 500-700g
One of the primary attractions of caviar is its hefty sell price. A jar of caviar can fetch 500g per jar or up to 700g if you have the artisan profession. This makes it one of the more lucrative products in the game. With the right setup, players can create a steady income stream that can finance other farm expansions or pursuits.
2. Caviar is Liked by Many Villagers
In Stardew Valley, building relationships is crucial, and gifting plays a big part in that. As a high-end product, Caviar is liked by many villagers, including Abigail, Alex, Caroline, Clint and more.
3. Caviar offers a +175 Energy Boost
If you’d rather keep this artisan good to yourself, players who consume caviar will notice a 175 boost in energy and a 78 boost in health, making it a favored item during long farming days or adventurous cave expeditions.
4. Caviar Completes the Movie Theater Missing Bundle
Upon restoring the Community Center, players have the opportunity to transform the derelict Joja Mart. To do this, they need to complete the ‘Missing Bundle.’ This package demands a range of items, with caviar being one of the pivotal components. By contributing caviar to this bundle, players can transform the old Joja Mart into the vibrant ‘Movie Theater’, a hub for the community.
5. Caviar is Used to Tailor the Fashion Hat
By placing caviar into the Sewing Machine, players can craft the chic ‘Fashion Hat’. This hat is more than just a stylish statement; it’s a testament to a player’s dedication and ability to master the intricate layers of the game.
How to Make Caviar in Stardew Valley
Obtaining caviar in Stardew Valley involves cultivating sturgeons in a fish pond and harvesting their roe. Once the roe is collected, you can transform them into caviar with a preserves jar.
While the process demands patience and specific materials, our guide streamlines the journey with a clear, step-by-step approach.
Step 1: Catch a Sturgeon
In Stardew Valley, the sturgeon stands alone as the singular fish yielding roe that can be transformed into caviar. Using any other fish will only result in ‘aged roe’, a less valuable product and a regrettable misuse of resources.
Where to Catch a Sturgeon
This elusive freshwater fish is exclusive to the Mountain Lake. While it can be found anywhere in the Mountain Lake, it is slightly more common in deeper water. This means you should extend your rod to its max length and find a spot that allows for further reach and isn’t too close to trees or obstacles. For example, a good spot is the little island in the lake pictured above, which you access by bridge.
When to Catch a Sturgeon
The sturgeon is only available during the months of Summer and Winter between 6 am and 7 pm.
Additionally, while the sturgeon can be caught during any weather, your chances improve significantly on rainy days. The best time to go fishing for this rare fish is on a rainy Summer day when it has a capture rate of 11-16%.
How to Catch a Sturgeon
Given its unpredictable movements and rarity, catching a sturgeon can be challenging. To enhance your success rate, here are a few tips and tricks:
1. Level Up Your Fishing Skill
Higher fishing levels make it easier to catch fish during the mini-game, as the higher the level, the bigger your fishing bar size. Leveling up is very straightforward. It just requires consistent, frequent fishing.
2. Use Bait
Bait is helpful because it decreases the time it takes for fish to bite. You can craft bait after obtaining the first fishing rod upgrade (Fiberglass Rod) using bug meat, which is dropped by many cave insects. Bait is also available for purchase at Willy’s Fish Shop for 5g a piece.
3. Use a Tackle
Only the Iridium Rod allows you to use tackle. You can purchase one From Willy’s Fish Shop for 7,500g after reaching a level 6 fishing skill. Attach by right-clicking the rod while holding the tackle.
- Spinner: Increases the bite rate. Crafted using 2 iron bars or can be purchased from Willy’s Fish Shop for 500g.
- Trap Bobber: Makes the “escaping” fish bar decrease slower by 33%. Crafted using 1 copper bar and 10 sap, or can be bought from Willy’s Fish Shop for 500g.
- Barbed Hook: Makes your catch more secure, causing the “fishing bar” to cling to your catch. Crafted using 1 copper bar, 1 iron bar and 1 gold bar, or can be bought from Willy’s Fish Shop for 1,000g.
4. Eat Fish Boosting Food
Fish boosting food will make your fishing bar bigger which makes Sturgeons easier to catch.
- Dish O’ The Sea: Adds +3 to fishing level. Made in the kitchen from sardine (or any fish) and hash browns.
- Fish Taco: Adds +2 to fishing level. It is made from tuna, tortilla, red cabbage, and mayonnaise.
Step 2: Build a Fish Pond
A Fish Pond is an essential structure for farmers aiming to produce caviar, as it provides the habitat for sturgeons to thrive and produce roe. Here’s a comprehensive breakdown of how to establish your very own fish pond:
- 200 Stones: Stones can be commonly found throughout Stardew Valley. The best locations include the Mines, Quarry, or simply around your farm. Using a pickaxe will allow you to collect them.
- 5 Seaweed and 5 Green Algae: These can be acquired by fishing in various bodies of water throughout the valley. They’re commonly caught as random items while fishing.
- 5,000g: Earned from various farm activities, from selling crops, artisan goods, or other farm produce.
Building the Pond
- How to Get One: To build a Fish Pond, you’ll need to visit Robin at the Carpenter’s Shop. She’s the go-to person for all farm-building related projects in Stardew Valley.
- Cost: Make sure you have all your materials in your inventory and 5,000g in your bank. While it might seem like a significant initial investment, the potential returns from caviar production make it well worth the expense.
- Wait Time: Once you’ve commissioned Robin to build the Fish Pond, expect a waiting time of three days. After this period, your pond will be ready for sturgeon.
Step 3: Crafting a Preserves Jar
The Preserves Jar is a pivotal tool for transforming sturgeon roe into luxurious caviar. Besides caviar, this jar also enables farmers to produce pickles and fruit preserves, increasing the value of many farm goods. Here’s a detailed guide on establishing a Preserves Jar on your farm:
- 50 Wood: Wood is a common resource, collected by chopping down trees on your farm or in the valley using an axe.
- 40 Stone: Just like with the Fish Pond, there are stones throughout the valley, with the Mines and Quarry being prime locations. A pickaxe is your tool of choice for collecting them.
- 8 Coal: Coal is primarily sourced from the Mines. It’s dropped by certain enemies, found in mine carts, or most commonly, from breaking rocks. If you’re in a pinch, then you can also purchase coal from Clint at the Blacksmith’s for 150g each.
Crafting the Preserves Jar
- How to Craft One: Once you reach level four farming, you can craft the Preserves Jar directly from your crafting menu.
- Cost: While there’s no direct monetary cost associated with crafting a Preserves Jar, you will need to invest in gathering or producing the necessary materials.
- Crafting Time: The beauty of crafting in Stardew Valley is the immediacy. Once you have all the required materials in your inventory, crafting a Preserves Jar is instantaneous.
Step 4: Placing the Sturgeon in the Pond
Go to your completed Fish Pond and right-click to add the sturgeon. For optimal roe production, you’ll want to aim for multiple sturgeons in your pond up to its maximum capacity of 10.
Step 5: Complete Quests for the Fish
Sturgeons, like other fish in the pond, will occasionally offer quests, indicated by an exclamation mark above the pond. Fulfilling these quests by bringing items to the fish will increase the pond’s capacity and improve roe production rates.
|1 x Sturgeon
|1 x Diamond
|3 x Sturgeon
|3 x Sturgeon
|1 x Pickles/Jelly
|5 x Sturgeon
|5 x Sturgeon
|3 x Omni Geodes
|7 x Sturgeon
|7 x Sturgeon
|1 x Nautilus Shell
|10 x Sturgeon
Step 6: Preserve the Roe
After the pond is populated and the fish are happy, they will start producing roe. This can take a few in-game days, depending on how full the pond is.
When you see roe appear above the pond, click to collect it. With the roe in your inventory, approach the Preserves Jar and right-click on it to place it inside.
After a waiting period of 4 in-game days the roe will be transformed into caviar.
For farmers who aren’t keen on delving into the intricacies of fish farming but need caviar to complete the ‘Missing Bundle’, there’s an alternative avenue.
The Traveling Merchant occasionally sells caviar for 1,500g – 2,500g. You can find this merchant in Cindersap Forest, just south of the farm. The merchant sets up shop on Fridays and Sundays from 6am – 8pm.