Our readers support us. This post may contain affiliate links. We earn from qualifying purchases. Learn More
Stardew Valley introduces 12 characters who are eligible bachelors and bachelorettes for marriage.
You can marry a single person in Stardew Valley once you date them at 8 hearts with a Flower Bouquet and gift them the Mermaid Necklace when they’re at 10 hearts.
If you marry one of these NPCs, your spouse will move into your home and complete chores daily, like watering crops or feeding your farm animals.
Who’s the best person to marry in Stardew Valley?
Abigail is the best person to marry in Stardew Valley if you want to receive valuable gifts. She can gift you bombs and Crab Cake when married.
Abigail’s also one of the easiest to befriend since she loves Amethysts and likes Quartz, which you can obtain from the Mines early game.
Below we’ll have a complete breakdown of her gift reference, heart events, and other relevant details any player who wants to marry her will need to know to achieve their goals!
Best Person to Marry in Stardew Valley: Abigail
- Personality: Adventurous, free-spirited, rebellious
- Hobbies: Occult, drums, games
- Birthday: Fall 13
- Loved gifts: Amethyst, Banana Pudding, Blackberry Cobbler, Chocolate Cake, Pumpkin, Spicy Eel
- Hated gifts: All Universal Hates, Clay, Holly
Abigail is one of the most accessible persons to marry in Stardew Valley since you can obtain her loved and liked gifts early in the game.
You can start gifting her Amethyst or Quartz once you start exploring the Mines, or wait until fall to harvest Pumpkins and gift her one on her birthday.
Abigail’s Backstory and Personality
When interacting with Abigail and other Pelican Town residents, you will learn that she lives with her parents, Pierre and Caroline, in the General Store.
They constantly clash with each other due to her interests and hobbies.
Her mother comments on her clothing and hair dye, and Pierre confesses at some point that he’s afraid Abigail isn’t her biological daughter during a dialogue with the player.
She’s best friends with Sam and Sebastian; the three have a band together where Abigail plays the drums.
If the player doesn’t ask Abigail or Sebastian to dance during the Flower Dance event, they dance with each other.
You can trigger unique cutscenes with Abigail when reaching a specific number of hearts:
Enter Pierre’s General Store while Abigail is there, Monday to Saturday.
Your character enters Abigail’s room and sees her get angry at a videogame, after which she’ll ask for your help.
You and Abigail start playing Journey of the Prairie King’s console version, where Abigail actively helps you as a second player.
It doesn’t matter whether you win or lose. She will thank you for the help.
Note that you won’t gain or lose friendship points during this event.
When visiting the Mountain between 12 PM and 7 PM on a rainy day (except Winter), you will see Abigail playing the flute and ask about your whereabouts.
If you want to gain +50 friendship points, you should choose the option “Enjoying the weather.”
Regardless of what option you choose, she’ll invite you to join her under the tree.
Your character pulls a harp and will play a duet with Abigail as the camera pans out and the cutscene ends.
Enter Pelican Town from any direction, between 9 PM and 12 AM when it’s not raining.
You will see Abigail in the graveyard, where she’ll tell you she has been practicing with her sword since she wants to go on adventures someday.
She’ll ask if you’ve ever used a sword. If you choose to say just no, there’s no effect on your friendship with her.
However, you will lose -100 friendship points if you choose “Yes, but it’s dangerous. You should stay safe.”
The other two options will grant you +10 points.
You must receive a letter from Abigail and enter Pierre’s General Store between 8 PM and 10 PM while she’s inside.
Once you arrive, she will show you her spirit board, revealing that she has developed feelings for you.
Abigail reacts with embarrassment and kicks you out of the room, and your character will end up outside.
The following day, she’ll visit you in your farmhouse and apologize.
Your friendship level freezes at 8 hearts with any single NPC, and you can only unfreeze it by gifting them a bouquet and starting dating them.
After giving her a Bouquet, but before giving her the Mermaid’s Pendant, enter the mines or the Quarry Mine any day between 5 PM and 12 AM.
You will see Abigail preparing to enter the mine when she’s startled by a bat flying up her face.
While she initially laughs it off, more bats appear, and she flees to hide in the cave’s corner.
Ask her “Are you okay?” for +40 friendship points, and then answer “I get scared too.” for an additional 40 points.
She will confess to you and kiss you. If you’re playing as a girl, Abigail also mentions she didn’t know she liked girls until meeting you.
If you want to marry Abigail, you must upgrade your farmhouse at least once and buy the Mermaid’s Pendant from the Old Mariner for 5,000g during rainy days.
After marrying Abigail, she will set a room to your bedroom’s right, where she will keep a tv and her console, drums, a sword, and her guinea pig David Jr.
She will also claim a small area behind the farmhouse, adding some flower pots and using that space to practice the flute.
What Should I Gift Abigail in Stardew Valley?
Learn all Universal Gifts here.
|Loves||All Universal Loved|
|Likes||All Universal Likes, except Vegetables|
|Neutral||All Universal Neutrals|
|Dislikes||All Universal Dislikes, except Clay and Pufferfish|
All Fruit, except Fruit Tree Fruit
All Vegetables except Hops, Pumpkin, Tea Leaves, and Wheat
|Hates||All Universal Hates|
Abigail’s Post-Marriage Gifts
Abigail is arguably the best person who gives the best marriage gifts in Stardew Valley, followed by Leah.
All of her gifts are valuable, useful, or sold for reasonable amounts of gold regardless of the day’s time and weather.
There are three scenarios where Abigail can give you a gift:
- Abigail can offer a Cherry Bomb, a Bomb, a Fried Mushroom, or Crab Cakes if she stays inside the farmhouse.
- During rainy days, Abigail may offer you a Solar Essence, a Bat Wing, a Void Essence, an Amethyst, or a Fire Quartz as a gift.
- During rainy nights, Abigail may gift you Chowder, Parsnip Soup, Tom Kha Soup, Trout Soup, or Lobster Bisque.
Read more: How to Find Prismatic Slime
Who is the Second Best Person to Marry in Stardew Valley?
After Abigail, Emily is the second best person to Marry in Stardew Valley. You can start gifting her any type of Gem during the early game to raise her friendship levels.
Eventually, if you marry her, you have a chance of receiving valuable and helpful gifts, like Cloth, Coffee, Chocolate Cake, or Omni Geodes.
List of Bachelors and Bachelorettes in Stardew Valley
- Personality: Brazen, athletic, confident
- Hobbies: Sports
- Birthday: Summer 13
- Loved Gifts: All Universal Loves, Complete Breakfast, Salmon Dinner
- Hated Gifts: All Universal Hates, Holly, Quartz
Alex lives with Evelyn and George, his grandparents, in the house located southeast of Pierre’s General Store.
He’s friends with Haley and can be seen dancing with her if you don’t ask him to dance with you during the Flower Dance event.
Alex works as an ice cream scooper during summer and dreams about becoming a professional athlete.
- As a spouse, Alex offers Survival Burger, Dish O’ The Sea, Fried Eel, Crispy Bass, or Baked Fish on rainy days.
- If he stays in the farmhouse all day, he may offer Omelet, Hashbrowns, or Pancakes during the morning as breakfast.
- Personality: Sentimental, romantic, friendly
- Hobbies: Writing, reading
- Birthday: Fall 5
- Loved Gifts: Crab Cakes, Duck Feather, Lobster, Pomegranate, Squid Ink, Tom Kha Soup
- Hated Gifts: All Universal Hates, Amaranth, Quartz, Salmonberry, Sea Cucumber
Elliot is one of the three old bachelors described in one of the Secret Notes you can unlock, even though his actual age isn’t disclosed.
He lives at the cabin on the beach, where he’s trying to finish his novel.
Elliot is described in the game as romantic and sentimental and can be seen interacting with Leah and Willy and roaming the Beach and Museum.
- If you marry Elliot, you may get Baked Fish, Fried Calamari, Chowder, or Fish Stew for dinner on rainy nights.
- Elliot may offer the player Coffee whenever he stays in the farmhouse all day or on a rainy morning.
- As a spouse, Elliot is one of the few NPCs who will gift you Wine for New Years’ Eve on Winter 28.
- Personality: Bubbly, creative, spiritual
- Hobbies: Sewing, meditation
- Birthday: Spring 27
- Loved Gifts: All Universal Loved, All Gems, Survival Burger, Wool, Cloth
- Hated Gifts: All Universal Hates, Fish Taco, Holly, Maki Roll, Salmon Dinner, Sashimi
Emily lives with her sister Haley, and both take care of their parent’s home while they continue traveling the world.
She works at the Saloon part-time with Gus and enjoys sewing her clothing.
Emily is one of the two single NPCs in the game that can send gifts to the player’s mailbox alongside Shane.
As a fun fact, this is because Emily and Shane weren’t originally planned to become eligible for marriage until later in development.
- If you marry Emily, you may get Cloth, Wool, Duck Feather, Refined Quartz, or Bean Hotpot on rainy mornings.
- Whenever Emily stays inside the farmhouse all day, there’s a chance she may give you Cloth, Wool, Duck Feather, Refined Quartz, Bean Hotpot, Coffee, or an Omni Geode.
- On rainy nights, you may receive Rice Pudding, Blueberry Tart, Cookie, or Chocolate Cake from Emily as your spouse.
- Personality: Decisive, diva-like, caring
- Hobbies: Photography, fashion
- Birthday: Spring 14
- Loved Gifts: All Universal Loves (except Prismatic Shard), Coconut, Fruit Salad, Pink Cake, Sunflower
- Hated Gifts: All Universal Hates, All Fish, Clay, Prismatic Shard, Wild Horseradish
Haley temporarily lives with her sister Emily at their parent’s house while they’re traveling the world.
Haley may appear superficial and slightly rude towards the player, but if you decide to pursue a friendship, she shows a softer and sweeter personality.
You can see her taking pictures around Pelican Town and interacting with Alex at the ice cream stand during summer.
If you don’t invite her or Alex to dance during the Flower Dance event, the couple will dance with each other.
- Haley offers Cookie, Blueberry Tart, Pancakes, Poppyseed Muffin, or Maple Bar on rainy mornings as a spouse.
- If Haley stays inside your farmhouse all day, she may offer Fried Egg, Omelet, Hashbrowns, Pancakes, or Bread for breakfast
- If you marry Haley, she may offer Chowder, Eggplant Parmesan, Bean Hotpot, or Parsnip Soup on rainy nights.
- Personality: Timid, kind, worried
- Hobbies: Plane models, jazz music
- Birthday: Winter 14
- Loved Gifts: All Universal Loves, Coffee, Pickles, Super Meal, Truffle Oil, Wine
- Hated Gifts: All Universal Hates, Coral, Nautilus Shell, Rainbow Shell, Salmonberry, Spice Berry
Harvey’s one of the three NPCs described as older bachelors on a Secret Note you can find while exploring.
He works as the town’s doctor and runs the medical clinic, where Maru works as a nurse.
Harvey will dance with her if you don’t invite him during the Flower Dance event.
He enjoys jazz music, and his home has plane models since he wanted to become a pilot when younger.
- If you marry Harvey, his work schedule changes to Tuesdays and Thursdays only.
- If Harvey stays inside the farmhouse all day as your spouse, he may offer you a Complete Breakfast.
- During a rainy night, Harvey may offer Salmon Dinner, Crispy Bass, Fried Eel, Carp Surprise, or Vegetable Medley for dinner.
- Personality: Artistic, cheerful
- Hobbies: Sculpting, painting, foraging
- Birthday: Winter 23
- Loved Gifts: Goat Cheese, Poppyseed Muffin, Salad, Stir Fry, Truffle, Vegetable Medley, Wine
- Hated Gifts: All Universal Hates (except Seaweed), Bread, Hashbrowns, Pancakes, Pizza, Void Egg
Leah lives in her cottage in Cindersap Forest, where she sculpts inside her home and enjoys nature.
She left the city to live a more peaceful life, but she’s still uncertain about pursuing an artistic career.
You can help her by organizing an art show or helping her sell her art online.
Each morning she’ll be sculpting inside her cottage. She’s friends with Elliot, who would be her partner at the Flower Dance event if you don’t ask them to dance with you.
- As a spouse, Leah may offer you Chanterelle, Common Mushroom, Red Mushroom, or Morel on a rainy morning.
- If she stays inside the farmhouse all day, she may offer Coffee, Salad, Wild Horseradish, Daffodil, Leek, Dandelion, Cactus Fruit, Fiddlehead Fern, Spice Berry, or Sweet Pea.
- As a spouse, Leah is one of the few NPCs who will gift you Wine for New Years’ Eve on Winter 28.
- Personality: Smart, friendly, ambitious
- Hobbies: Tinkering
- Birthday: Summer 10
- Loved Gifts: All Universal Loves, Battery Pack, Cauliflower, Cheese, Diamond, Gold Bar, Iridium Bar, Miner’s Treat, Pepper Poppers, Radioactive Bar, Rhubarb Pie, Strawberry
- Hated Gifts: All Universal Hates, Holly, Honey, Pickles, Snow Yam, Truffle
Maru lives with her parents, Demetrius and Robin, as well as her brother Sebastian, at a house located right next to Robin’s Carpenter Shop in the Mountains.
She wishes to have a closer relationship with Sebastian, but when your character arrives at Pelican Town, their relationship is currently stranded.
Maru works at the medical clinic run by Harvey as a nurse. She is seen dancing with him during the Flower Dance event if you don’t invite either to dance.
- If you marry Maru, she may offer you a gift on rainy morning from her workshop consisting of Warp Totem: Farm, Quality Fertilizer, Refined Quartz, a Gate, or a Bomb
- During rainy nights, Maru may offer Rice Pudding, Blueberry Tart, Cookies, or Chocolate Cake as your spouse.
- If Maru stays all day indoors, she may gift you a Cherry Bomb, Bomb, Fried Mushroom, or Crab Cakes.
- Personality: Shy, modest, intelligent
- Hobbies: Reading
- Birthday: Fall 2
- Loved Gifts: All Universal Loves (except Rabbit’s Foot), Diamond, Emerald, Melon, Poppy, Poppyseed Muffin, Red Plate, Roots Platter, Sandfish, Tom Kha Soup
- Hated Gifts: All Universal Hates (except Artifacts, Poppy & Red Mushroom), Beer, Grape, Holly, Hops, Mead, Pale Ale, Piña Colada, Rabbit’s Foot, Wine
She lives in a trailer with her mom Pam in the east area of the town, next to the river.
Penny tutors Jas and Vincent at the museum and will walk them home afterward or take them to the town playground.
Penny is always trying to tidy up the trailer and must deal with her mother’s issues as she lost her job once the town’s bus broke down.
During her heart events, you learn more about her dynamics with her mother and her liking for cooking, even though she isn’t good at it.
- When married, Penny still works at the Museum and leaves the farmhouse on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
- Penny may offer Large Milk, Egg, Mixed Seeds, or a Geode on a rainy morning as your spouse.
- If Penny stays inside the farmhouse all day, she may gift Omelet, Hashbrowns, or Pancakes during the morning.
- On rainy nights, Penny may gift Salmon Dinner, Crispy Bass, Fried Eel, Carp Surprise, or Vegetable Medley for dinner if she’s your spouse.
- Personality: Outgoing, cheerful, energetic
- Hobbies: Music, skating, video games
- Birthday: Summer 17
- Loved Gifts: All Universally Loves, Cactus Fruit, Maple Bar, Pizza, Tigerseye
- Hated Gifts: All Universal Hates (except Joja Cola & Seaweed), Coal, Copper Bar, Duck Mayonnaise, Gold Bar, Gold Ore, Iridium Bar, Iridium Ore, Iron Bar, Mayonnaise, Pickles, Refined Quartz
Sam lives with her mother, Jodi, and younger brother Vincent in the southern area of Pelican Town.
In Year 2, his father Kent returns from the war to live with them again.
Sam works part-time at JojaMart as long as it remains open.
He’s usually seen practicing guitar with Sebastian, practicing skateboard tricks, or playing pool at The Stardrop Saloon.
He’s friends with Abigail, Penny, and Sebastian, and in one of his cutscene, he can be seen playing music with Abigail and Sebastian at a concert.
- Sam may offer Cactus Fruit, Coconut, Earth Crystal, or Geode on a rainy day when married
- If you choose Sam as your spouse, he may offer Pizza on rainy nights.
- If Sam stays all day indoors while married, he may gift you Pancakes.
- Personality: Shy, rebellious
- Hobbies: Music, reading, motorbikes
- Birthday: Winter 10
- Loved Gifts: All Universal Loves, Frozen Tear, Obsidian, Pumpkin Soup, Sashimi, Void Egg
- Hated Gifts: All Universal Hates, All Artisan Goods (except Coffee, Green Tea, & Oil), All Eggs (except Void Egg), Clay, Complete Breakfast, Farmer’s Lunch, Omelet
Sebastian lives with his sister Maru and mom Robin, alongside his step-father Demetrius.
His relationship with Demetrius is strained since Sebastian strongly believes he favors Maru for everything, and he resents his family because of this.
He’s good friends with Sam, and you’ll often see them hanging out or playing music.
If you don’t pursue Sebastian or Abigail romantically, the storyline suggests that he has a crush on her.
They dance together during the Flower Dance if you don’t ask either of them to be your partner.
- Sebastian may offer Coffee on the days when he stays indoors all day when married.
- As a spouse, Sebastian may gift Obsidian, Void Essence, Bat Wing, Frozen Tear, Amethyst, or Cave Carrot on rainy days.
- Sebastian is the only NPC who will gift you Beer for New Years’ Eve on Winter 28.
- Personality: Grumpy, depressed, caring
- Hobbies: Farming, drinking
- Birthday: Spring 20
- Loved Gifts: All Universal Loves, Beer, Hot Pepper, Pepper Popper, Pizza
- Hated Gifts: All Universal Hates (except Seaweed), Pickles, Quartz
Shane lives at her aunt Marny’s farm, where he works with the animals and has a part-time job at JojaMart while it’s still running in Pelican Town.
His storyline includes a problem with alcohol, which the player can help him overcome through his heart events.
You will see Shane spending his free time at The Stardrop Saloon, dealing with depression and his alcoholism problems.
However, the player can befriend him and see his softer side.
- Shane may give you Beer, Large Egg, Pale Ale, Void Egg, or Pepper Poppers on rainy days when you marry him.
- If Shane stays inside the farmhouse all day, he may gift you Omelet, Pepper Poppers, or Pizza.
Read more: What does the Earthquake Event do?
Stardew Valley Marriage FAQs
Does It Matter Who You Marry in Stardew Valley?
If you want to reach perfection in your Stardew Valley farm, it won’t affect your save file what NPC you marry.
You will benefit from marriage’s mechanics and rewards regardless of who’s your spouse.
It only changes what details in the story you unlock with specific characters and the post-marriage gifts you receive.
Can You Get Divorced in Stardew Valley?
Yes. You can go to the Mayor’s Manor, interact with a small book, and pay 50,000g to complete the divorce.
You have until 10 PM to cancel the divorce, the moment when Lewis closes his house.
The following morning, your spouse will be gone alongside their room and outside area, and their friendship points will reset to 0.
Their status will now have the “ex” label and will only negatively interact with your character.
Can You Remarry Your Ex in Stardew Valley?
If you have already divorced but want to remarry your spouse, you can go to the Witch’s Hut up the north of the mountain and offer 30,000g to the Dark Shrine of Memory.
This action will erase your ex-spouses’ memories, allowing you to date and remarry them if you choose to do so.
However, you won’t see their heart events again since you can only see them once per save file in singleplayer mode or once per player if you’re playing multiplayer.
Can You Marry Robin in Stardew Valley?
No, you cannot marry Robin in the vanilla version of Stardew Valley.
Any NPC that isn’t labeled as “single” in the character’s menu cannot get married to the player.
In the game, Robin married Demetrius and lives with him, her son Sebastian and her daughter Maru at the Carpenter’s Shop in the mountains.
Can You Date all Bachelors and Bachelorettes in Stardew Valley?
You may gift a Bouquet to all single NPCs in Stardew Valley to trigger two unique cutscenes.
Reach 10-heart relationships with Alex, Elliott, Harvey, Sam, Sebastian, and Shane to trigger the unique scene for bachelors by entering the Stardrop Saloon during the evening.
The other option is to reach 10-heart relationships with Abigail, Emily, Haley, Leah, Maru, and Penny for the bachelorette version and enter Haley and Emily’s house before 8 PM.
In both cases, you may avoid their rage by carrying a Rabbit’s Foot in your inventory before entering the Stardrop Saloon or Haley and Emily’s home.